Saturday 11 October 2008

What shall we do with the herring?

I got some herring fillets cheap at the market today. I've never had herring before, so not sure really what to do with it.

In the end, I made a crust of cracked pepper, garlic, mixed dried herbs and some chopped basil from my herb garden (well, herb pot plant) and pan-fried it, with a side salad done with a dressing of olive oil, white wine vinegar and natural yoghurt.

Was rather tasty, but I think I need to go easier on the pepper next time. It turns out that herring already has a strong flavour, so it doesn't need much

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I equate herring with anchovies and quail. All small and disgusting. Isnt quial hard to eat with the miniture bones. Do you find this too?

Cassie said...

Sounds like you're having fun with all of this cooking stuff.

I'll let you know if Dean comes up with some really good ideas :D

Jessmeca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessmeca said...

I really have not much to comment on this one... except that i want your recipy for the salad dressing!

i like pan frying anything with a crust!

My Mum decided one day (cause she is nuts) to cover the little lamb cutlets with handles in Pistachio Dukkah and make a sweet sticky soy dipping sauce.. i tell you what mmm mmm was good! ... might have to buy some lamb cutlets and do just that once im on day shift again!

Aussie Locust said...

No worries, Jess.

It's very easy.

Grab a jam jar.
Add 4 parts natural yoghurt
2 parts extra virgin olive oil
1 part white wine vinegar
Sea salt
Ground pepper

Put the lid on and shake it all about. Then try a little and adjust any of the quantities above to taste, then shake again just before putting it on the salad.

If you make too much, it will keep in the fridge for up to a week.

Jessmeca said...

Aww Locie you could have at least deleted my double up! :)

Thanks for the Recipy, ill definately try it!

Aussie Locust said...

Deleted it that time! ;-)